mercredi 30 décembre 2015

Microsoft Selfie app comes to iOS -- Did it make me sexy? You be the judge!

screen322x572 (2)Microsoft has had its ups and downs lately, but one of Satya Nadella's biggest victories was increasing development for multiple platforms. Gone are the days of the company focusing primarily on Windows. Yes, the company still has an interest in making its own operating systems successful, but not to the detriment of the overall good.

Microsoft has supported iOS in more ways than one -- it has released Office, Bing and OneDrive for the platform, to name a few. Plus its Band smartwatch is compatible with iPhone thanks to its Heath app. Today, the company releases a new app for selfie photos; the unimaginatively named 'Microsoft Selfie'. Obviously, I had to try it on my iPhone 6s Plus. Has the app turned my homely mug into something sexy? You be the judge.

Microsoft describes the app with the following description.

Microsoft Selfie is a selfie and portrait enhancement application. The app takes age, gender, skin tone, lighting, and many other variables into account, applies different models automatically and finishes enhancement with just a single click. Users can transform average photos into more presentable portraits in seconds. Key features of this application are noise reduction, intelligent enhancement, automatic exposure and color theme.

Here are the results below. Am I sexy now?

Click to view slideshow.

Microsoft Selfie focuses on automatically enhancing selfies and removing "noise". You can use the on screen slider to increase or decrease the strength of the the trickery, however. As you can see, my forehead and cheeks look oddly smooth. The app has largely removed imperfections -- acne, birthmarks and stubble. While this is sort of cool, it also comes across as being a bit phony. I appreciate it removing the zit that was on my chin, but not my birthmarks. Quite frankly, this app makes me feel bad about myself, as it highlights all my flaws.

In addition to that primary noise feature, it also implements optional filters -- something found on similar such apps. While the app works, it doesn't do much to differentiate from other offerings on iOS. If you really want to tweak your face in selfies, the popular Facetune is superior. With that said, it costs $3.99 while Microsoft's offering is free. Ultimately, I guess I just don't see why the company invested resources in such a seemingly mundane app.

What do you think, was Microsoft smart to release this app? Was it successful in making me sexy? Download the app here and tell me in the comments.



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire